This post was written for the Insecure Writer’s Support Group where we share our encouragement or insecurities on the first Wednesday of the month, to join the group or find out more click here.
OPTIONAL IWSG DAY QUESTION:
If you could live in any book world, which one would you choose?
Worldbuilding for Our Pleasure
When you build a world, you include the landscape that your characters will inhabit, the tone of your story, its major preoccupations and themes, as well as the nature of its morality. Worldbuilding lays the groundwork for your characters to develop, providing the stage for where your creations will perform.
Truth About Living in a Book I’D Read
I spend 80% of my reading time up to my elbows in mysteries. The other 20% in the horror and fantasy genre. I’m sure you see the problem. Living in those fascinating worlds with fearless heroes—of all identities—that pull some super stupid life saving stunts are not placed I could live.
Mostly because I wouldn’t last long.
I’m game joining Stephanie Plum, Grandma, and Lula doing their bounty hunter antics. It’s fairly safe watching them from afar. But I have a feeling I’d be eating at her parents place or limping around the burg, when she finally succeeded.
Sure, Middle Earth is great, but I’m pretty big for a hobbit. I know one of their holes could fit twelve dwarfs and Gandalf, but adding me would be pushing it. Not only am I magicless, always lost at hide ‘n seek, and I’d be pretty useless in a battle.
The world of New York’s Cop Central in 2057 was really fun. Love Eve Dallas and Roarke kicking criminal butt. But unless I lived in their mansion and was fed food I take for granted here, I’d never make it.
Do you see a pattern?
The worlds I visit are exceptional. Wonderful. Exciting. Dangerous, and I could never live there. Die there? Well, sure, but fun is that?
Now, a question for you
How does your everyday life compare with the worlds you read about?